View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 01:52 PM

When I became Deaf and was studying American Sign Language (ASL), I realized that, in order to understand the rules of grammar in ASL, I first had to understand rules of grammar in English. If I didn't understand what "dangling participles," "imperatives," "split infinitives," "intransitive verbs" or "modifiers" meant in English grammar, how was I going to be able to understand the grammatical rules in ASL? And how was I going to explain such rules to my ASL students at university (I was an ASL professor for many years), if I couldn't understand the grammatical rules of the language that I and most Americans have grown-up speaking and writing?

However, a miraculous thing happened in reading the KJV Bible. I never had to study the grammatical rules of "old English." I never had to study what "thee", "thou", "thine" or "thy" meant. Do you know why? Because the Holy Spirit was at work in me and I had clarity! It was amazing to me the way that the KJV opened up to me. It was just NATURAL. I never had to struggle with grammar or a feeling of awkwardness. So many people have told me that they can't read the KJV because the stumble over all those "thee's" and "thou's" - well, all I can suggest is PRAYING and fully allowing the Holy Spirit to do a work in you to miraculously open your understanding. I believe that is better than undergoing a complex study of grammatical rules.

This is not HUMANLY-devised grammar. This is GODLY grammar - and we, therefore, need Godly assistance in growing in wisdom and understanding.

Jassy