View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKG View Post
While there have been different views expressed, no one on this thread has advocated taking sin lightly. No one has advocated a license to sin. No one has advocated that a Christian can sin all they want with no consequences. When a person gets saved all of their sins are forgiven. The idea that a Christian has to get their sins forgiven every time they sin comes from Roman Catholicism and taken up by Protestants and unfortunately many Baptists.
Once again, I see this persistent confusion over the issue of RELATIONSHIP (our unchanging position in Christ) and FELLOWSHIP (our daily walk with Christ).

Brother, I understand where you are coming from, but the word "confess" in 1 John 1 has no more to do with Roman Catholicism than it does the man on the moon. In 1 John 1:9 there is no stained glass priest involved in our fellowship and cleansing, only God. And the RCC is based on confession to an earthly MEDIATOR—not to God, so I'm sorry but suggesting that troubled believers who confess their sins TO GOD (exactly as the text instructs) are somehow using a spin off error from the RCC is simply absurd. Believers get into trouble every day with practical sin, we all agree on this, and the passages to prove this are overwhelming. Regardless of this confusion, it is important for believers to confess (acknowledge) and deal with sins in our life, and that is NOT RCC teaching—it's scriptural.

Last edited by Bro. Parrish; 06-18-2009 at 07:04 PM.