View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post

As for the word “Trinity” - I personally do not use it when teaching the Scriptures or witnessing. The Bible word that I use (instead of the Roman Catholic word “Trinity”) is the “GODHEAD” [Acts 17:29; Romans 1:20; Colossians 2:9]. I learned this when I used the word “Trinity” in witnessing to A COUPLE OF Jehovahs Witnesses back in 1973, and they pointed out to me (quite correctly) that the word “Trinity” was NOT in the Bible, and that it was a “Roman Catholic word”. You should have seen the expression on the faces of the next pair of “Witnesses” that came to my door when THEY USED the word “Trinity”, and I pointed out to THEM that the word “Trinity” was NOT in the Bible, and that it was a “Roman Catholic word” - they were speechless! (Since they are pre-programmed to ask certain questions and answer according to the Watchtower Babble, they couldn’t deal with the “tables being turned”.)

And as for the word “rapture”, that Christians use to describe the translating of the saints, I try to avoid its use in teaching and witnessing also (although I may have to explain to people why I don’t use the term). The only place in the Bible where we have a clear “picture” (type) which describes what is going to happen to those saints that are alive at Christ’s gathering His body to Himself, is the example of Enoch:

Genesis 5:21 And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:
22 And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
23 And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:
24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

Hebrews 11:5 By faith Enoch was TRANSLATED that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had TRANSLATED him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

Jude 1:14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

In teaching and witnessing about those Christians that are alive at the time The Lord comes for His saints, I always use the word “TRANSLATED” - Why not use “Bible words” to describe a “Bible doctrine”? Personally, I don’t understand why it is so difficult for Bible teachers to refrain from ADDING to; or SUBTRACTING from; or CHANGING God’s Holy words. If a person is a genuine Bible believer, then he ought to have a natural love for God’s word and a high enough regard for it, NOT to MESS with it!
Great idea, Brother George! In dealing with the cults, this will work.

While theologically-coined words may be necessary to describe Bible doctrines, periods, or events, there are times that some doctrinal issue
can easily be settled by using "Bible words". People who believe the same thing may think they differ when actually the issue is not with "Bible doctrine" but with terminology.

I remember some of my school mates in Bible school being confused when one Bible teacher said "Rapture" is the first stage of the "Second Coming", while the other Bible teacher said "Rapture" is not the same as "Second Coming".
View #1: Rapture is the first stage of the second coming. Rapture is Christ's second coming for the church. (The second stage of the second coming is "Revelation".)
View #2: Rapture is NOT second coming. The Rapture is Christ's coming in the air, while the Second Coming is on earth. The first coming of Christ was on earth; therefore, the second coming has to be on earth.

My reply was: well, what is called "Rapture" or "First Stage of the Second Coming" refers to Christ's COMING in the air when he catches the earth up, and what is called "Revelation", "Second Coming", or "Second Stage of the Second Coming" refers to Christ's COMING on earth to set up His kingdom. Both "rapture" and "second coming" are words not found in the Bible, but used to describe two different events. "Coming" is the Bible word.

Both View #1 and View #2 believe the same thing but call them a different way! I see their dispute as an issue of terminology rather than doctrine.

It looks like somebody arguing whether or not a certain four-legged animal is a pig or a swine.