View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Mikie View Post

You can disagree with that all you like to. But, you won't be able to change my mind, any more than you can talk me out of my marriage. It is something I've experienced, and checked-out with the Scriptures and found them valid. We all have experiences in life. We all have feelings. For me personally, I try not to operate by feelings, and I don't make Biblical decisions based on experiences. But my experience does add-up Biblically. Also, as for quoting a commentary, I have to admit I don't use or read commentaries very much. When they are quoted on this forum, I don't read them at all. No offense.
Please take this in Christian love.

I don't doubt at all that you have had this experience. You say you have compared this experience to the Bible, although, what you explain as your tongues experience does not compare to the Biblical examples. The Bible clearly explains that people were able to understand what others that spoke different languages were saying in their own tongue. No where in scripture does it describe the tongues we hear today or the tongues you have explained as your experience. The tongues you speak of are easy to imitate and from what I hear from many that have come out of the Pentecostal movement, there is much pressure to imitate these babblings. It is nonsense when heard by others. Our God is not a God of confusion.

If I heard Biblical tongues today, I would hear a language that I didn't understand, (an unknown language) but there would be someone there that would be able to interpret what the person was saying. I would not hear strange babblings repeated over and over again, I would recognize it as a foreign language although not understand what the person was saying. Or I would hear someone that spoke a different language, speak in my language. I believe as the Bible says, that this was a sign for the Jews as prophesied in Isaiah and this miraculous gift is no longer available. We certainly don't see this miraculous gift today. What we see is a corrupted version of the gift.

So yes, we all have experiences. We must try the spirit of these experiences.

We are cautioned against seducing spirits. What do these Pentecostal teachers tell us about tongues. Some say it is a special gift for special Christians, (extreme piety). Some say only those with the gift have received a special (second) blessing. Isn't this teaching focused more on the individual and their specialness then for the furthering of the gospel of Christ and the edification in God's Word? Try, try, try the spirits.

Quote:
1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.