Thread: Acts 4:27
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 04:38 AM

I have looked at some Greek text. the dios a greek word is in the oldest Eastern text. while Zues is in the alexandrian greek texts.

I know that Jupioter is the Roman name of a god and that Zues is tha Greek name of a god. however the inscription found in archeology cearly say Jupiter for that City not Zues. they may or may not be the same god. that is still debatable even by some secular sources.

My Bible says Jupiter and the new translations say Zues. you can use any you want. But from what I found is dios (a Greek word) was in the older text used for the KJV. While Zues was inserted later by the Alexandrian scribes.

but the word Dios just means deity. Zues would be literally translated Zues. Strongs has dyzooce and so do few TR MM used but all the alexandrian text say Zues. and it is not spelled dysooce it is spelled Zues. and the pronunciation of Dios is not dyzooce either. it just depends on whose greek your following. in Strongs dyzooce is the pronouciation not the greek spelling, he shows the Greek spelling as Zues.

Ruckman and others believe in the old manuscripts that use Dios. I checked out the sources Ruckman suggested and found the greek word Dios not dyzooce or zues. the last two according to him is a later corruption. See Ruckmans Commentary on ACTS chapter 14 for some info. There is dia but only as a derivitive. Theos is God, Dios is deity, Dia can be both, Zues is zues. I have three Greek texts a TR text dios, Strongs Zues and Stephenas Dia. Three different words so you have to prayerfully make a chioce which Greek OR like Ruckman says, this is one of those instances where English is clear and you can throw out the Greek. It is Jupiter but that the Greek word was Dios (deity) and the translators made sure we knew which it was by putting Jupiter there without Italics for that was the deity of that city.

Last edited by chette777; 09-20-2008 at 04:53 AM.