View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Truth4Today

Arrow ~Where I Stand, It Is Windy~

As of yet, I have not revealed where in particular, I stand within the parameters I have defined. The reasons for this are simple: 1.) My view is irrelevant to the issue just as long as I am within the parameters; 2.) Everyone must decide for themselves where within the parameters they are going to stand, my position should not influence anyone; 3.) The issue of using the KJV as the standard Bible (i.e. the parameters as a whole) is really what is at stake, not the trifles of those who do use it as the standard Bible (i.e. each element within the parameters {who is really straining at gnats?}).

You, must understand that what is important to me is the position of the King James Only as a whole. Yes, I could easily argue the position of Gale Riplinger as revealed in her books New Age Bible Versions; In Awe Of They Word; Which Bible Is God’s Word?; and The Language Of The King James Bible. Sure I could just as easily delineate Samuel C. Gipp’s position as revealed in his books An Understandable History of the Bible ; and The Answer Book . No doubt I could even put forth the basics of Peter S. Ruckman’s position (The Christian’s Handbook Of Biblical Scholarship pp. 37-38):

Quote:
I profess to believe that the AV, that I hold in my hand and from which I preach, is the word of God, containing the words God wants me to have, and that it has been preserved by His grace without proven error.
Of course, Ruckman could be JOKING here, I can’t really tell…

I could present the positions of a hundred men. But what does all that mean? Really, it means very little. What is important is how we define what a King James Only is. What are the confines in which it rest. The US has one Army, but many facets to that Army. I should know for I joined in 1999, served over in Iraq in Iraqi Freedom II; and just ETS back in September of last year. Defining what King James Only is, is the real issue today!

However, there are some of you who are eager to know where I stand. Tonight is your lucky night, because, I feel in the mood to tell you. Please permit me to quote something I have written in regard to my take on this issue:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The Indispensable Book

The word “indispensable” expresses the idea that what ever is being spoken of is not subject to being set aside or neglected. It is absolutely necessary or requisite, just as air is necessary for one to live. The necessity and indispensability of the Bible is perfectly emphasized by our Lord when He said, “...man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God” (Luke 4:4; recorded in Matt. 4:4 also). He was quoting Deuteronomy 8:3 which underscores man’s need for the Word in order to live. Man cannot truly live without the very word, and every word at that, of God. Job illustrates the recognition of this need, “Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary [food].” (Job. 23:12). We are told that the Word is more precious than gold and that it is sweeter than honey (Ps. 19:9-10; 119:103, 127). Moreover, the testimony of Scripture is that the Bible is sufficient for salvation (Ps. 19:7; Rom. 1:16), without which there is no salvation (1Pet. 1:23; Rom. 10:13-17). It is for these reasons and more that we consider God’s word as indispensable.

Since, God breathed and authored the Bible and because He is not a man that He should lie (Num. 23:19) nor can He lie (Titus 1:2), then the Bible is infallible and inerrant. Hence, the Bible is historically, scientifically and spiritually true and accurate (Ps. 119:160; John 7:17). This being the case, we believe the Bible is the only authority in all matters of faith, life, practice, and anything else it may touch thereupon for the believer. It is indispensable, hence, it is to be believed (John 2:22), received (1Thess. 1:6; 2:13; James 1:21), read (Deut. 17:18-19; Rev. 1:2), spoken (Ps. 119:46, 172), taught (Deut. 6:7-8), preached (2Tim. 4:2), sung (Ps. 119:54; Colo. 3:16), loved (Ps. 119:127), obeyed (Deut. 11:27; 29:9 Luke 8:21; 11:28; James 1:22-25), and meditated on (Josh 1:8; Ps. 1:2; 119:148) as the Word of God.

I believe that the Traditional Hebrew Messoretic Old Testament and the Traditional Greek Textus Receptus New Testament text to be the providently preserved word of God faithfully handed down from the first through the ages which has been providently kept intact in the Biblical English of the King James Authorized Bible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

There, you have my position dealing with the King James Only. To further clarify, I do not think that the English can correct the Greek, nor do I hold to the idea that the Greek can correct the English. I DO hold to the idea that the English of the King James Authorized Bible is an accurate, faithful, and correct reproduction of God sanctioned Greek and Hebrew texts so that we can say that it is translationally without error.

At this point I want to thank everyone’s input; including those who hate… oops I mean who dislike me.

For my next post ladies and gentlemen I shall post why I think their should be a need for a standard.

- “One accurate measurement is worth more than a thousand expert opinions”

- “...this is the Word of God; come, search, ye critics, and find a flaw; examine it, from its Genesis to its Revelation, and find an error... This is the book untainted by any error; but is pure, unalloyed, perfect truth. Why? Because God wrote it. Ah! charge God with error if you please; tell him that his book is not what it ought to be. I have heard men, with prudish and mock-modesty, who would like to alter the Bible; and (I almost blush to say it) I have heard ministers alter God's Bible, because they were afraid of it... Pity they were not born when God lived far—far back that they might have taught God how to write.” Charles Haddon Spurgeon (Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 1: Sermon II p. 31)

- “If, therefore, any do complain that I have sometimes hit my opponents rather hard, I take leave to point out that 'to everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the sun' : 'a time to embrace, and a time to be far from embracing' : a time for speaking smoothly, and a time for speaking sharply. And that when the words of Inspiration are seriously imperilled, as now they are, it is scarcely possible for one who is determined effectually to preserve the Deposit in its integrity, to hit either too straight or too hard.” Dean John William Burgon (The Revision Revised. pp. vii-viii)