View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM1023 View Post
There are many choices here, and I've never settled on one particular edition. The Cambridge Concord is classic, but at 56 I'm finding the print a bit too small. The Cambridge "Presentation Reference" edition, which was originally called the "Turquoise", has very clear print and good references, but like all Cambridge Bibles it's way overpriced.

I like Thompson, but honestly find it hard to use on a daily basis. It's a little too cumbersome for me to be flipping around the numbered references.

I have an old Collins "Longprimer" concordance edition, black letter, which is probably close to my favorite. It was published in the 1940s.

But the Bible I keep by my bed and keep going back to is an edition published by World (the original World, when it was in Cleveland)--it's large print with in-verse references, printed on a velvety bright white paper . . . it has a terrible coated paper kind of artificial leather cover, but the text is the best I've found. (World was eventually sold to Collins, then the whole thing was sold to a company in Iowa . . . there are still some World Bibles on the market, but I'm not sure who makes them, and they're not the same quality as the old ones.)

Lee
Sadly, most of us are looking to Europe for well made Bibles (irony since Europe is more post-Christ than the USA) I had a friend who "dogged on me" for spending 120 bucks for an Allan's Bible....I had the last laugh, he needed a new Bible and bought a Nelson (I think) KJV, anyway, pages started coming out after 7 months. His Bible was about 50 bucks, do the math, YES, Allan, and Cambridge are pricey BUT, I am aware that good editions from these printers can hold up after 40 years of wear and tear.