View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 11:07 AM

Hi Folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT
I recognize that sometimes a plural can be translated as a singular, and vice versa
Brian, is that your method of a retraction of the three quotes above from you at the top of my post #154 ?

Are any of them still operative ? If so, which ones.

If not, say so clearly, that they were in error.

====================================

Note, for the forum:

Brian is wrong once again, taking the red herring approach. This is not a case of "a plural can be translated as a singular, and vica versa". That discussion, fascinating as it is, is a totally different issue, which most often comes up in collective pronouns and nouns. You can come up with excellent examples even within English, including how the term 'United States' transformed over time.

This is a case that Brian is still totally clueless about the singular/plural aspect of number of the Hebrew grammatical form used in words like Elohim, shamayim and mayim (water). The close English analogy is the word 'sheep'. If anybody claimed that the word sheep was by nature a plural of number they would be in as bad shape in English as Brian is overall, trying to keep his accusation against the pure Bible on the lukewarm burner.

Another analogy for the technicians among us is the usage of grammatical gender in many languages, which has no requirement to translate to biological gender in English.

Brian, there is no point in our going on until you either attempt to support, or retract, your three quotes in #154. You need to decide the status of each one. May I suggest you take some time, use careful consideration and then respond on your two assertions (the first two quotes can be combined as one). I went to some effort to show you the problem in your assertions in the third quote.

And you need to have the integrity to respond directly to point.

George, I appreciate what you shared above very much, as being quite accurate and insightful overall. However there is a question here of accountability and timing and even walking an extra few miles. Please bear with my attempt for at least a short season. Thanks .

Shalom,
Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery; 12-22-2008 at 11:36 AM.