View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKG View Post
From a devotional perspective I would say John 15:1-7 gives us truths of discipleship for the church age believer, but from a doctrinal and dispensational perspective I think there is a possibility it applies to the nation of Israel. I'm not hard on this, but compare John 15:1-7 with Romans 11:17-25 and I think you will see what I mean. In the OT Israel is referred to as a vine (Psalm 80:8-19, Isaiah 5, Jeremiah 2:21, Hosea 10:1), but in John 15 Jesus says He is the true vine and “Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away” (John 15:2) which was soon to happen to the nation of Israel for rejecting their Messiah. Paul tells us about branches being broken off (Romans 11:17) with the reason being; “because of unbelief they were broken off” (Romans 11:20) and it is clear from the context of Romans 9-11 He is referring to Israel. At the same time, as Jesus was speaking, the Gentiles were soon to be “grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree” (Romans 11:17). As you read through Romans 9-11 (and passages such as 1 Corinthians 15 and 1 Thessalonians 4) you see that at a point in the future the true believers will be removed from the earth leaving the remaining apostate church which will not abide in Christ (… if God spared not the natural branches (Israel), take heed lest he also spare not thee– Romans 11:21). As the tribulation ends with the return of Jesus, a remnant of the Jews will believe on Him as their Messiah and be grafted back in. Unbelieving Jews and Gentiles (which includes the apostate church) will be “cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned” (John 15:6)
Amen brother, excellent. It's awesome how God crammed so much truth in there; from Bro. Forrest's exposition of the spiritual truths any Christian can find in this passage, to its doctrinal application in its proper time period, we can see the Grace of God that He does extend to every man.