View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 03:55 PM

Luke

Not to argue, but it has never come across that way to me. If God created the animals in Adam's presence, then why does it say he "brought" them to him?

Gen 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

I believe God created the animals on the fifth and sixth day, when he brought the animals to Adam could have been sometime later.

Now, saying that, in Gen 2:18 God says "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him"

Then in Gen 2:19 it says God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air, and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them.

Then Gen 2:20 says Adam gave names to the cattle, the fowl of the air, and to all the beasts of the field, but there was not found an help meet for Adam.

Then Gen 2:21-22 says God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, took one of his ribs, closed up the flesh, and made woman.

But this is not a contradiction of Gen 1. I do not believe Gen 2 is written in chronological order like Gen. 1. Gen 1 mentions the first day, second day, and so forth. So it is describing the order of creation.

Gen 2 is supplying further detail about God's creation, but not necessarily in chronological order. I believe the fowl for instance were created on the fifth day in Gen 1, when they are mentioned after Adam in Gen 2. Then sometime later, and there is no way to know for certain how long that period is, God brought the fowl to Adam to name. And I don't think you can say it was animals and fowl in the garden only, in Gen 2:20 it says "all" the beasts of the field.

Last edited by Winman; 03-16-2009 at 04:03 PM.