View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:07 AM

Default Re: "Spiritual Death?"

Aloha Brandon,

This is the problem we have when there is either so little Scripture to go on or our discernment and understanding are limited.

You raise an interesting point, for which I have no definitive Scriptural answer.

Your quote:
Quote:
"Also, not all men's spirits go back to God after death. Else this would be error:"
1 Peter 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
"What were the spirits doing in prison (in the earth)? Not sure where this fits but it's there somewhere. Perhaps the "upward" movement of the spirit was yet to come for them."
Let's look at the context of 1 Peter 3:19, and then the context of WHO and WHEN Peter was speaking of.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

In the context Peter was speaking about "the days of Noah", and specifically about the people living in those days prior to the Flood.

Genesis 6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also isflesh : yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

The "spirits" in prison spoken of here are specifically the "spirits" of those (?) who lived before the Flood.

Which leads to the following questions:

#1. Are those "spirits" in prison ALL of the people who died before (and during) the Flood?

#2. Are those "spirits" in prison only the Men of Renown (the Giants), the hybrid offspring of "the sons of God and the daughters of men"?

Or:

#3. Are those "spirits" in prison only "the sons of God (Angels?) who came into the daughters of men"?

[Jude 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.]

And then again:

#4. WHERE is the "prison" spoken of located?

This is what I mean when I wrote about speculating about the word of God. There is so little information, and when it comes to spiritual discernment, we know so little.

The Scriptures indicate that the "spirits" of all men (and women) born after the Flood return to God. Taking into account the preceding Scriptures, I believe that the same was true of all ordinary men (and women) before the Flood also.

Since there are so few Scriptures dealing with this issue ("the spirits in prison") it is difficult to say with finality that those "spirits in prison" are the "Angels which kept not their first estate", but from the Scriptural record, it would seem that that's who they are.

I dislike speculating about Scripture. There are spiritual matters that we have so little idea about that it should humble us all. For example:

The whole Chapter 10 of the Book of Daniel (Spiritual warfare between God and Satan).

And what about the "Cherubims"; the "Seraphims"; the "Four Beasts" ("in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne" of God); the Angels (and their hierarchy); etc.

And then we have those verses about spiritual warfare that are directed at us (Christians), that so few of us have so little idea about:

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Today (especially in the Western world) most Christians think that the Christian life is all about being "entertained"; or having "a good time"; or about God blessing us with "material wealth & goods". But according to the Scriptures, we are in a "WAR". I don't understand it all - I just thank God that I am, at least, aware of these things.

I'm looking forward to the day when my Saviour will clear up all of these issues [1Corinthians 13:9-12]. Until then, I will continue to study the word of truth; believing God for all of it - even if I don't fully understand it all.