View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:07 AM

"Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;"

Two things about this verse. It doesn't say anything about a person's birth condition (i.e. the saying that we are born spiritually dead) and it doesn't say anything about a person's spirit. It says YOU (not your spirit) were dead, not because of a birth condition, but YOU were dead in trespasses and sins. It was your trespasses and sins that caused you to enter this state of being dead. In Romans 7 Paul said he was alive once, but when the commandment came, sin revived and he died. I believe a person is born separated from God but must reach an age of accountability before they are held accountable for their sins. Once a person reaches that point of understanding right and wrong or good and evil they are now accountable and become dead in their trespasses and sins. Their sin and their knowledge of sin has condemned them; unless they get saved.

I would suggest that there was a physical death following Adam's (and Eve's) sin. God, in His mercy, and as a picture of salvation, slew an animal to cover Adam's sin. Nothing changed in Adam's constitution (body, soul and spirit) after his sin. If he had obeyed God he could have stayed in the Garden, but because of his sin he was cast out and no longer had access to the tree of life; therefore he was now subject to death.

I would also suggest you look up spirit in the Old Testament and you will see folks before the cross, before there was a new birth, had a spirit.

Good discussion. I don't know that I have the answers as much as I dofuel for the discussion.