View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 11:06 PM

Default Re: "Spiritual Death?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN G View Post
"I'm going to opine along the lines of Samuel. God said:

Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the DAY that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

"What happened in the Day that he ate the fruit? Adam didn't die physically."

Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
Gen 3:23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
Gen 3:24 So he DROVE out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

"It seemed Adam enjoyed perfect communion with God until the sin.

It seems to me that spiritual death is the separation.
Good discussion.."

In Christ!
Aloha brother JOHN G,

Your statement: "It seems to me that spiritual death is the separation." seems reasonable, and you may be right.

The problem I have is for over 40 + years I was taught that Adam's "spirit" DIED the day he ate of the fruit. And I accepted that explanation until I did my study on the heart of man; and in the course of that study I had to examine all of man's attributes and discovered that there are NO Scriptures that SAY that man's "spirit" died, dies, or experiences death (NOT like man experiences physical death).

Consequently I have tried, to understand (from Scripture) what "spiritual death" is - if the "spirit" (NOT the Holy Spirit) in mankind does not, or cannot "DIE", then "spiritual death" is NOT like physical death, because I can find no verses that say a spirit (that comes from God) DIES. {And I haven't even mentioned "EVIL SPIRITS" - that seemingly do not, or cannot DIE either!}

This whole discourse is deeper than most Christians are willing to admit. Bible issues that must be spiritually discerned are not always easy; and, in the end, we may not be able to come to a full understanding of a particular matter. But what I refuse to do, is to do what the men that taught me for all those years. I refuse to teach something as "Truth", if I cannot PROVE it from the Scriptures. And I hesitate to speculate, because I could be wrong.

That's my whole point, we have to be real careful with what we say or teach, if the Scriptures are not real clear on an issue; or if we lack the discernment, understanding, and wisdom to "get it"; or if God just isn't showing us.