View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
Maybe I'm not being clear.
Suppose a church decided that no black people could be members...? Suppose you had a "constitution or charter" that stated no blacks were allowed to be members or be married. What exactly does that document get you? The homosexuals are claiming discrimination based on sexual orientation, as I already showed you in the link: the courts see this as equal to minority status. To me, writing down your plan to "discriminate" only makes it more obvious, but then I'm not a lawyer.
Because, as a church, if you can show that something is against your beliefs, and have a way of proving it, then you can discriminate against certain practices.

It needs to be a conviction, however, and not just a preference. The church needs to make clear beliefs against sodomy and those who practice it.

Let me try to explain it this way: a Jewish congregation can state that they believe that eating pork is a sin, and can back it up with the Law. They couldn't be accused of discrimination if they don't allow someone to sell BBQ at a church event.

Some courts have ruled against churches that forbade sodomy, saying that their beliefs could only be enforced during actual ceremonies. A pastor might be 'forced' to marry two sodomites outside the church, but not within the confines of the building.