Thread: Deuteronomy
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
I already addressed the issue of the kilt. The Bible does not give cultural rules - but rules applicable to mankind in all cultures.
You suggested looking at the history of clothing to determine what is and isn't gender-specific clothing. That would seem to be an appeal to cultural authority. That's the problem -- this verse in Deut. doesn't actually tell us what exactly pertains to a man or woman.

As for pants: The only reference I find in the Bible about them (breeches) is a garment specifically designed for priests. They are not even said to be for men in general, but for priests. More often the Bible mentions robes, which I can say I have never put on except in a hospital.

The verse quite obviously teaches that cross-dressing is an abomination, but you have to admit that it does not mention pants or dresses.

This has to fall under the same kind of thing as what constitutes "long hair" -- the Bible doesn't specify, so we have to let the Holy Spirit do that work. We know that it is a shame for a man to have long hair, but the Bible does not tell us how many inches is long. Setting up a rule about it strikes me as the error of the Pharisees, who added their own traditions to the law in order to make sure people didn't transgress the law.