View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
It depends on what module says what. Brandon specifies very clearly on his Swordsearcher website that he does not endorse or agree with every statement made in these commentaries, books, etc. - but has included them as tools, to be used discerningly and comparing what they say with the Bible itself.

American Tract Society Dictionary says this: In the Hebrew Bible, it is always written with the vowels of one or the other of these words. Its ancient pronunciation is by many thought to have been Yahweh, but this is not certain.

From a quick search for entries for Yahweh, I do not see any of them that give a history of this name - I see some commentators with a preference or liking for it - but that in itself neither proves or disproves it.

Actually, from what I recall, Brandon already posted a link showing where the name came from earlier in this thread. You may profit from reading through it.
Does Brandon agree with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
P.S. I don't believe in Yahweh, which is a pagan god.
I would certainly profit from a resource that backs up that statement.

I purchased the Way of Life Encyclopedia along with SS. Do you disagree with David Cloud on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way of Life Encyclopedia
YAHWEH
An alternate spelling of Jehovah.

[See Jehovah.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way of Life Encyclopedia
JEHOVAH
A name of God used in the O.T. (Ps 83:18). It refers to God as the One who keeps covenant and mercy with His people. The true pronunciation of this name has been lost through the passing centuries since God revealed it to Israel. The Jews were afraid to pronounce the name; therefore, the original pronunciation has been lost. In the Hebrew text of the O.T. we have only the consonants JAH for the name Jehovah. The vowels are uncertain, as the pronunciation of the name was lost before vowel markings were added to the Hebrew text centuries ago. Thus Jehovah might or might not be the original pronunciation of God's name. The meaning of the name, though, is clear from Scripture.

[See God, Jehovah-Jireh, Jehovah-Nissi, Jehovah-Shalom, Jehovah-Tsidkenu, Jesus Christ.]
Any way I certainly have never read anything about Yahweh being a pagan god, but if you have anything on that I would be interested in reading it.