View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 09:19 PM

Default Re: "A Question Concerning Hell --"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Christian View Post
"Hi Bro. George, so you believe the "quickened" and "dead" of Ephesians 2:1 is that of the "connection" or "union" between our spirit and God? Have you found other scriptures that use the word "dead" with this meaning of being disconnected, as opposed to not being alive? Thanks."
Aloha brother,

I have been so busy the last few months that I haven't been able to research this whole issue. I've got a lot on my plate - so to speak!

However, you will notice that Ephesians 2 doesn't say that our "spirit" was DEAD - BEFORE we were QUICKENED (when we got saved), it says:

Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

The question is: Which "attribute" of man Is "dead"? Or How many "attributes" could be "dead"? And does the word "dead" in this context mean dead as in a "dead" (lifeless) body?

If we examine the following verses it becomes obvious that our definition or concept of the word "dead", may not always line up with the way God expresses it in His Holy word.

Romans 4:19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb: {Was Abraham "DEAD"? Not in the sense that we understand "dead"!}

Romans 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? {This is DEEP STUFF! How are we "dead" to sin? My body is still alive; my soul is alive; my spirit is alive - HOW am I "dead" to sin? What attribute of mine is "dead" to sin?}

Romans 6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: {Again - What "attribute" of man is considered "dead" with Christ?}

Romans 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter. {Notice the words "newness" of spirit? I don't believe our spirit was "dead" - but it has been made "NEW". We don't only have the Holy Spirit living in us, we have a "NEW" spirit (a "spirit that has been "CHANGED"?)}

Romans 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

2 Corinthians 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

Galatians 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

Ephesians 2:1
And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Ephesians 2:5
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Colossians 2:20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,

Colossians 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

1 Timothy 5:6 But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Hebrews 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Hebrews 11:11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.
12 Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable.

I believe that Adam died "spiritually" the moment he ate of the fruit. However, there are far too many verses in the Bible that clearly state that the "life" that we have is derived from the "spirit" that is within in us (which emanates from God, WHO IS LIFE). Does God put a dead "spirit" within a person? I believe that a person can be "spiritually dead" without necessarily having a "dead" spirit. I don't profess to understand all that is involved in this issue, but I repeat: Is there a verse (or verses) in the Bible where it clearly says that the "spirit" that is in man dies, or is dead? I haven't been able to find one - perhaps someone out there can.

Last edited by George; 02-24-2009 at 09:40 PM.