View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseedavis View Post
I just want to ask two more things of each of you reading this. First of all, again, take this to God in prayer and ask Him to give you discernment. Next, follow His leading on the matter.
Thankfully, I have his word, so I don't have to rely on my feelings about it:
Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Titus 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Titus 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
Now, obviously, there is not always profit in "contending" with someone for the truth when he has decided it doesn't matter what the truth is.
Titus 3:10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;
You mentioned this verse:
Philippians 2:14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
And you use it as a proof that there are things we "should not discuss." This is a very strained application of this verse. Did you read the rest of chapter 2? Verse 16 tells us how:
Philippians 2:16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

If you read the verse in its context, you'll find what Paul was talking about more clearly:
Philippians 2:21 For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's.
And how are we to know what is "Jesus Christ's" without his word? And how are we to "hold forth" the word of life while not talking about it?