View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybones2112 View Post
Forrest, the gist of my response is that do we follow Christ's message strictly to Israel during His earthly ministry to them("times past") or do we follow His meesage to us today("but now") through Paul? The greatest confusion among Christianity today, let alone many of us on this forum, is trying to wad the two messages together as applicable for today. That's what every Catholic on the planet is taught to do and the confusion is why so few of them pay any attention to the Scriptures. With right division you get sound doctrine, without right division you get Roman Catholicism..

The doctrine of Christ dying, the just for the unjust, the innocent for the guilty is found right in Genesis 3, in the innocent animals dying to "cover" Adam and Eve. There is doctrine in Leviticus 5, but where do I take my sin offering if it's applicable for today? Same with Luke 14. I'm not commanded to "hate" anything today, nor am I to turn on my family as a Christian. They will turn on you. The context and application of Luke 14 is disparate people on the verge of desperate times. Yes, I am saved and love Christ, He lives in me, I am in no manner to abandon a sick wife and run off to the Congo to fulfill the "Great Commission".

Grace and peace brother

Tony
Greetings brother Tony. No doubt and I'm with you on your above thoughts. I loathe harmonizing when we should divide.

Do you think Jesus was actually telling the multitude that the requirement to be His disciple was to HATE his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also? If not, what is He teaching them?