View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 10:20 AM

Default Amanda

Hi Amanda – I’m so sorry, I misread your sentence!
Instead of reading “Is it a sin to remarry even if you've divorced over adultery?” – I read – It is a sin to remarry even if you've divorced over adultery!”

Concerning your response to my post - I think that Paul is referring back to the unmarried rather than the loosed in V28 (as the overall context does seem to imply that it is better to remain single rather than to marry) as such will have trouble – as the single are free to serve only one master.

I don’t believe that he is endorsing re-marriage but rather urging people to remain as they are – (i.e. if single, then stay like that – if married then stay like that). But if a person decides to go head and get married he/she has not sinned (as they probably would have thought that they were going against what he was teaching as an apostle). He wasn’t speaking against marriage as some of the may have been thinking but rather encouraging them to remain in their present state.

This fits perfectly in the context of what our Lord Himself taught on the same subject:

Mt.5:31 “It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.”

Hope this helps

God bless

PaulB