View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 07:10 PM

Hi Folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim
Connie, with respect to those far-past Godly men whose writings and teachings were so strong, yet they seemed to embrace alterations to the Bible of their day without awareness ... I believe it was the same with men like Spurgeon. They were caught up with the newness of the matter, and may have even innocently thought (like someone near and dear) that some slight changes would be beneficial. I would hope that if these men were transported to today's environment, they would have wisdom to see what has happened and that they would be on the forefront of the defense for the purity of the KJB.
Spot-on. A great pitfall is to judge too harshly men by the light that we see clearly today. Tozer, Pink, Spurgeon and others had been the recipients of a century-long agiprop campaign against the pure and perfect Bible. And remember that the versions that were published masked the actual confusions of alexandrian texts, tampered with the corruptions, hid the theoretical omissions, and this may have obscured for awhile the poverty of the revision. The truths that Dean Burgon shared were not easy for all to receive.

And remember that many of these men had been imbued with an idea of the superiority of the Greek, and as men of learning they could be subject to the same seminarian-elitist-wisdom weaknesses that we see contribute to so much textual apostasy today. Even Dean Burgon's view was tainted some by the elements that I mention here, even while he totally disassembled the whole Revision piece-by-piece and the phoney textcrit theories behind the revision as well.

The first tendency is "new..good". When I came to belief in the Lord Jesus Christ we said the same thing about the NIV (compared to the NAS). That shows how easy it is to be tricked and conned by the "new" and how reluctant people are to be viewed as stodgy folks not with it.

Now today we have much more light on the Bible issue, we can see the glass far less darkly, the jig is up for the alexandrian cult, we know 100% to reject the counter-reformation corruptions and versions.

And we know more clearly the superb majesty and truth and purity and power and authority of God's perfect word, the Holy Bible, the King James Bible.

Thus, let us remember a bit to see the men in the context of their times. Not to excuse error (there had been some warnings, and yes they should have understood better) -- to allow their legacy to remain intact despite their slips on the pure Bible.

Shalom,
Steven