View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 03:34 PM

1 Thess 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;
13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.
14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

I believe these verses tell a Christian to know (identify) those who labor and are over you in the Lord in the church. So, while we are brothers and sisters and equal, we are supposed to show high respect for the pastor, bishops, deacons, and elders. And vs. 14 says that we do have a duty to warn those who are unruly.

Heb 13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

Now who is it that speaks the word of God in church? The preacher, the pastor primarily.

Of course, I realize that some here do not believe Hebrews applies to the Gentile.

1 Tim 3:4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

1 Tim 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

Tit 1:5 For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:

So, I do believe the pastor is the shepherd over the flock. Of course, all these verses apply to a local body of believers.