View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I
So, then does 'husband of one wife' mean the bishop (pastor) could not remarry if he were widowed?

Or if he did remarry, he'd have to give up his church?

I'm not being facetious, really, just wondering about the semantics being used...and on what this 'doctrine' is based upon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
Good question and answered both by Scripture and marital vows: and I believe that the reverse would apply here
Quote:
1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
and the vow:
"till death do us part" (or similar words)
Brother, I do not see where you have answered my question. Perhaps I did not make it clear for you. Perhaps it’s just not clear to me.

Let’s try this again:

The Scripture you quoted doesn’t say anything about a bishop/pastor, only if a person is widowed, they are free to marry again.

I repeat, if a pastor is married, and then widowed, and then decides to marry again, is he the husband of one wife? He had one before, did he not?

And if a pastor is divorced, and decides to marry again, is she the husband of one wife or two?

If there is a difference, could you show me, and do so from Scripture?

Thank you.

“Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.
But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you.” (1 Corinthians 7:27,28)