View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
But to me, as I read Isaiah, it seems like the day is just that, a day. What follows is what follows, and isn't "the day". The day just seems to indicate that it's the day the Lord comes to officially begin judgement, and most of the bloody part happens in one day. But I am interested in hearing more on this from you Kiwi.

Peace and Love,
Stephen

EDIT: oh and that passage you posted doesn't seem to fit entirely (not to justify a 1,000 year day of the Lord that is). To me Peter is just telling us not to consider the Lord to be taking His time since time passes differently in the Lord's eyes. Therefore, when the day of the Lord comes (even if it takes a 1,000 years+ till that time) it will happen in a day. I'll think on this more when it's not 3am.
I think the "day of the Lord" is a prophetic day and not a 24 hour day. The context of 2 Peter 3:8-13 is prophecy, verse 8 being key.

There is a 1000 year period coming soon to this earth which is called a "rest" in Isaiah, for God and for the earth:

Isaiah 11:10 And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.

Isaiah 14:7 The whole earth is at rest, and is quiet: they break forth into singing. 8 Yea, the fir trees rejoice at thee, and the cedars of Lebanon, saying, Since thou art laid down, no feller is come up against us.

It is a sabbath rest for God, the 7th "day" (7th millennium) of human history. So far, man has had close to 6000 years (6 days) of work since Adam was placed in the garden, the day of the Lord will encompass the millennial reign of the Prince of Peace, who will usher in a great time of rest for Himself and His people.

Hebrews 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. 6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: 7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. 8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.