View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Christian View Post
This is an interesting topic. There are verses in scripture where the context of the "day of the Lord" are both the Tribulation and the melting of the elements & new heavens and earth. It looks like it's a time period that could well last for 1000 or so years.

The Tribulation:

Malachi 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: 6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Elements melting, new heavens & earth:

2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
But to me, as I read Isaiah, it seems like the day is just that, a day. What follows is what follows, and isn't "the day". The day just seems to indicate that it's the day the Lord comes to officially begin judgement, and most of the bloody part happens in one day. But I am interested in hearing more on this from you Kiwi.

Peace and Love,
Stephen

EDIT: oh and that passage you posted doesn't seem to fit entirely (not to justify a 1,000 year day of the Lord that is). To me Peter is just telling us not to consider the Lord to be taking His time since time passes differently in the Lord's eyes. Therefore, when the day of the Lord comes (even if it takes a 1,000 years+ till that time) it will happen in a day. I'll think on this more when it's not 3am.