View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 03:25 AM

Default Re: "Prayer for Direction"

Aloha Stephanos,

I believe that people are "wired" differently and have differing talents. I have worked at a lot of different jobs - Radar; postman; librarian; film editing; Printing; Linotype operator; Taro Farmer; Hydroponic Farming (Greenhouse - Sprouts {12 kinds}, watercress, basil, lettuce, etc.).

I worked as a carpenter for nearly 25 years, where I eventually learned and was able to perform all of the trades involved in building houses (I became a Building Contractor and Master Builder). The funny thing is - I am not a "Natural". Carpentry, Mechanics, etc. do not come "easy" for me, but I learned.

I quit the building business around 1988 (burned out) and went into wastewater design and installation for nearly 10 years. I read and taught myself wastewater design and designed over 350 wastewater systems (and installed most of them).

Over the course of our marriage, my wife and I have had a Furniture Repair & Upholstery Business and a Tabi Business (we manufactured "Reef Walkers"). We have run a Hamburger Stand; a Mexican Food Stand; and a Farmer's Market, in addition to the various Farming enterprises listed above. I retired 3 years ago after working from 1957 through to 2003 {46 years is long enough ).

I am a "bookish" person, but all of my adult life I worked with my hands to earn a living - go figure!

I would encourage you to do something that you enjoy and for which you have a natural aptitude. Whatever you do - don't be fearful of learning "something new"; and if you don't like what your doing try something else. There's lots of work out there (you don't have to stuck at one job all your life) - even if you have to create your own business in order to have a "job".

If someone, like myself, can do work for which they do not have a natural aptitude for, and still succeed, then if you lose your job in carpentry and cannot find any more work in that field - don't be afraid to do something different.