View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 09:41 PM

Smile

Quote:
Isa 13:19 And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees' excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.
Isa 13:20 It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there.
Isa 13:21 But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there.
Isa 13:22 And the wild beasts of the islands shall cry in their desolate houses, and dragons in their pleasant palaces: and her time is near to come, and her days shall not be prolonged.
In my Bible reading last week, I was in this chapter, and I remembered reading this post a while back, and I thought I'd share this story [you may or may not find this interesting, but here goes]. I was thinking about this word satyrs and dancing and the Lord kept that verse on my mind that day I was reading it....I came home from visitation and turned on the tv and the history channel was on, and some documentary that was kind of interesting and all I was going to do was take a 15 minute nap so I left it on....I was almost asleep and this music came on and I immediately woke up, and remembered the intro as a 60's or 70's song about drugs by Jefferson Airplane called "White Rabbit"; a new documentary had started called "hippies" and I watched in somewhat disbelief for about ten minutes and in that ten minutes I want to say that they showed groups of them doing drug induced dancing and spinning and as I watched, that verse kept coming into my head, so I got my computer out [with my trusty SSearcher program] and looked up the Websters 1828 dictionary for "satyr" and here it is:

SA'TYR, n. l. satyrus; Gr. a monkey, a fawn.

In mythology, a sylvan deity or demi-god, represented as a monster, half man and half goat, having horns on his head, a hairy body, with the feet and tail of a goat. Satyrs are usually found in the train of Bacchus [One who indulges in drunken revels; a drunkard; one who is noisy and riotous, when intoxicated.], and have been distinguished for lasciviousness and riot. They have been represented as remarkable for their piercing eyes and keen raillery.

Does that not pretty much sum up the hippie movement??
I guess the long and the short of my thought is, I think I saw satyrs dancing