Thread: 1611 Design
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 02:38 PM
jerry

Quote:
When I hear a pastor or teacher say, " well er that word in the Greek means a er I really can't pronouce it but my Strongs Concordance or my Interlinear say it means", I cringe because of the ignorance of that Pastor as to what he has just done to the people that are listening to him. ...
All a Christian needs to know God is preserved in the pages of the KJV. If you want to know what a word means look it up in an English dictionary even it that means going back to the 1828 Noah Websters dictionary.
There is nothing wrong with using a Strong's Concordance to understand our King James Bible - as it contains definitions of every word in it - but the problem comes when someone takes one possible definition and attempts to correct the English of our KJV with it.

Webster's 1828 Dictionary is an excellent resource - but there are some definitions that do not help to understand the usage of the word in the KJV - or it does not show how the meaning fits a particular passage.

For example, prophesy:

To foretell future events; to predict.

That word is used that way in some passages - however that is not how the word is used in the NT or in the book of Joel (perhaps other passages too). In the NT, the words means to preach or to witness - that is why every believer can prophesy, even the four daughters of Philip in Acts. His daughters were soulwinners.

Acts 21:8-9 And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him. And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy.

Many of his definitions do show a Biblical usage, but some do not. Baptism:

Quote:
1. The application of water to a person, as a sacrament or religious ceremony, by which he is initiated into the visible church of Christ. This is usually performed by sprinkling or immersion.
Bible baptism is by immersion, and is not a sacrament, but an ordinance.