Thread: Folk dance
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Connie

I read a few of Austen's books years ago and have enjoyed the movies made from them, quite a few versions of some of them actually. Austen was the daughter of an English clergyman who never married and died in her forties, and it's highly unlikely there was any immorality in her life. But immorality wasn't unknown in her circle and in Pride and Prejudice the youngest daughter runs off with an army man and lives with him for a while before family come to force him to marry her.

I'm surprised to hear the gospel was given in one of her books. My impression was that religion is a part of the scenery in Austen's books and apparently in her own life, but not a living reality. It was a source of moral perspective, and she explores moral questions in great detail, at least in relation to social issues, but as far as I can tell religion is taken for granted in a way that leaves true salvation out of it. Clergymen were appointed to their positions for social and financial reasons, not Christian reasons, and in at least two of her books they are silly vain men, hardly Christians.