View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 02:32 PM

Default Re: "Don't tell me what it “means” just tell me what it “says”"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post
"Wow.

Bro George, I think you way overreacted there. Of course, I think this started when premio58 gave support to some of my posts in another thread where you and I disagree.

But I agree with premio58 here. Not because it opposes you, but because I think he/she is right. And there is scripture to support this
:"

Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

"Here is an example of Jesus explaining the scriptures to the disciples that they did not understand. The very definition of the word expounded here is;"

1) to unfold the meaning of what is said, explain, expound
2) to translate into one's native language

"Another example is found in Acts."

Acts 8:26 And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.
27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,
28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.
29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? 31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man? 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

"You see here, the Ethopian eunuch could clearly read these scriptures, but he did not understand them. Philip himself asked the man if he understood these scriptures, why would he do that if the meaning is not important? So Philip began at the same scripture and preached unto him Jesus."

"And in support of Mark 16:16 which premio58 posted as an example, verses Acts 8:36-37 prove that the important factor in salvation is believeing, not baptism. You should only be baptized if you believe on Jesus with your heart. So baptism is not part of salvation. And these scriptures in Acts give more meaning and understanding to Mark 16:16"

"The point is, a person must understand the scriptures."

"I do not appreciate the bullying that goes on around here lately. When you sincerely disagree with a few here, they accuse you of all sorts of things, being an unbeliever, not rightly dividing the word of truth, false teacher, heresy, on and on."

"You know, there were folks that used this same tactic on Jesus, the prophets and apostles."

Luke 7:33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

Matt 12:23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?
24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

"Calling people names like "false teacher" is very reminicient of the Pharisees, not Jesus."

Brother Winman,

Your comments above illustrate an appalling lack of spiritual understanding where the Holy Scriptures are concerned. My comments in regards to your separate observations shall clearly illustrate this fact:

Winman’s comments:
Quote:
"Bro George, I think you way overreacted there. Of course, I think this started when premio58 gave support to some of my posts in another thread where you and I disagree.

But I agree with premio58 here. Not because it opposes you, but because I think he/she is right. And there is scripture to support this:

Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Here is an example of Jesus explaining the scriptures to the disciples that they did not understand. The very definition of the word expounded here is;
"

1) to unfold the meaning of what is said, explain, expound
2) to translate into one's native language"
First off - IF you knew how to rightly divide the word of truth, you wouldn't be using these Scriptural examples to try to PROVE your point!

The FIRST QUESTION you should have asked is: WHO IS SPEAKING? The SECOND QUESTION should have been: WHO IS HE SPEAKING TO? And the THIRD QUESTION you should have asked is: WHEN did he SAY what He SAID?

IF you had asked those THREE QUESTIONS you would have saved yourself a whole lot of embarrassment.

Firstly - The Lord Jesus Christ (The nation of
Israel's Messiah & King) is speaking {BEFORE His ASCENSION - i.e. BEFORE the Disciples were FILLED with the Holy Spirit.}

Secondly - The Lord Jesus Christ is speaking to some of His Jewish Disciples - that is His Jewish Disciples that are NOT "born again" - YET; and within WHOM the Holy Spirit is NOT INDWELLING - YET!

Thirdly - These Disciples DO NOT have the Holy Spirit living IN them YET! You see, when you study the Holy Scriptures, you CANNOT IGNORE the "HISTORICAL CONTEXT" (like you so often do) without misinterpreting the Holy words of God! At this point in time – the Lord’s Disciples were NOT like those of us who are born again today! {We have the Holy Spirit living IN us - they DID NOT! We do NOTNEED” that “any man teach us” – they DID!}

So then, in the "HISTORICAL CONTEXT", we have a group of Jews, WHO had been following the Lord Jesus Christ during His earthly ministry (i.e. Christ's Disciples) WHO (by their own testimony) had NO "spiritual understanding" of the events that just had unfolded, i.e. the Lord Jesus Christ's death, burial, and resurrection; and WHO, since they did NOT have the Holy Spirit living IN them, NEEDED SOMEONE to EXPLAIN to them WHAT HAPPENED?

Those of us WHO are born again are NOTHING like those Disciples (at least we shouldn't be!). We have the Holy Spirit living WITHIN US! We have the perfect, Holy, and infallible word of God (i.e. the King James Bible). We do NOT NEED that ANY MAN TEACH US! [
1John 2:27]

Now of course it's all good and fine that there are Bible "teachers" out there; and we CAN learn some "things" about the Bible from them, BUT the "FACT" is, according to the Scriptures, WE DON'T "NEED" them - NOT like the Lord's Disciples (in the “Historical context”) NEEDED SOMEONE to help them UNDERSTAND what was going on. {Your first “scriptural example” is DISPROVEN and clearly demonstrated to be TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT!}

Winman’s comments (continued):
Quote:
Another example is found in Acts.”

Acts
8:26 And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.
27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of
Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,
28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.
29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? 31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man? 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

You see here, the Ethopian eunuch could clearly read these scriptures, but he did not understand them. Philip himself asked the man if he understood these scriptures, why would he do that if the meaning is not important? So Philip began at the same scripture and preached unto him Jesus.”
Now this “Scriptural EXAMPLE” is WORSE than your previous one! “You see here” – The ETHIOPIAN EUNOCH WAS LOST! (duh? ) Of course he NEEDED SOMEONE to help him understand what he was reading – after all he was LOST! the Holy Spirit was NOT living IN him!). And since Philip was FULL of the Holy Ghost – he was just the man to “help” him.

Now, “how in the world”, does this “Scriptural EXAMPLEAPPLY to those of US who are born again and WHO have the Holy Spirit living IN US? Hmmm? Can’t you see? You USE some Scriptures to PROVE your point - BUT they are OUT OF CONTEXT! In other words you MISUSE the Scriptures to PROVE A PRIVATE INTERPRETATION! And when this is pointed out to you, instead of receiving instruction, you PERSIST in your ERROR! And worse yet, you start pointing fingers and ACCUSE some of us as using the “same tacticsAS THE SCRIBES and PHARISEES of old. {Your second scriptural “example” is DISPROVEN and clearly demonstrated to be TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT!}

Quote:
And in support of Mark 16:16 which premio58 posted as an example, verses Acts 8:36-37 prove that the important factor in salvation is believeing, not baptism. You should only be baptized if you believe on Jesus with your heart. So baptism is not part of salvation. And these scriptures in Acts give more meaning and understanding to Mark 16:16

The point is, a person must understand the scriptures
.”
The point is”? Of course “a person must understand the Scriptures”. That’s a “given”. WHAT does this have to do with the issue at hand? Acts 8:36-37 do NOTgive more meaning and understanding to Mark 16:16”; that is IF you BELIEVE the Scriptures WHERE they are written and DON’T TWIST them to try to PROVE your point!

How about QUOTING Mark 16:16 in “CONTEXT”?
Quote:
Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth
and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
You conveniently FORGOT SOMETHING (it’s called “THE CONTEXT”) didn’t you (and premio53)? What happened to the “SIGNS” that the Lord Jesus Christ said “SHALL FOLLOW THEM THAT BELIEVE”? WHERE are the “SIGNS”? WHO today has the genuine “POWER” TO CAST OUT DEVILS”? Hmmm? WHO today has the genuine “GIFT OF TONGUES”? Hmmm? WHO today takes up SERPENTS or DRINKS ANY DEADLY THING WITHOUT ANY HARM? Hmmm? And WHO today has the genuine GIFT OF HEALING – WHERE IF THE “LAY HANDS” ON THE SICK THEY RECOVER (EVERY SINGLE TIME)?

You (and premio53) LEFT OUT a whole lot of Scripture – DIDN’T YOU? Now that’s NOT very HONEST and that’s NOT very FORTHRIGHT of you (or premio53) IS IT? That is WHY (along with some of his previous comments) I called premio53 a "FALSE TEACHER", because that is what he IS! And if calling someone a FALSE TEACHER makes me a Pharisee - then WHAT does that make the Lord Jesus Christ when He called the scribes and the Pharisees (the FALSE TEACHERS of His day) “HYPOCRITES”; or “FOOLS; or “BLIND GUIDES”; or “VIPERS”; or “SERPENTS"? Hmmm?

Quote:
“The point is, a person must understand the scriptures.”

I do not appreciate the bullying that goes on around here lately. When you sincerely disagree with a few here, they accuse you of all sorts of things, being an unbeliever, not rightly dividing the word of truth, false teacher, heresy, on and on.

You know, there were folks that used this same tactic on Jesus, the prophets and apostles
.”

Luke 7:33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

Matt
12:23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?
24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

Calling people names like "false teacher" is very reminicient of the Pharisees, not Jesus.”
You couldn’t “PROVE” what you just said from the Scriptures - NOT if your life depended on it! Once again your “private opinion” DOES NOT “LINE UP” with the Holy “words” of God:

Quote:
Matthew 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
16 Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!
17 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?
18 And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty.
19 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift?
20 Whoso therefore shall swear by the altar, sweareth by it, and by all things thereon.
21 And whoso shall swear by the temple, sweareth by it, and by him that dwelleth therein.
22 And he that shall swear by heaven, sweareth by the throne of God, and by him that sitteth thereon.
23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.
29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,

Mark 7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

Luke 12:56 Ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky and of the earth; but how is it that ye do not discern this time?

Matthew 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Matthew 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
The Lord Jesus Christ NEVER got into "calling people NAMES"? Are you serious? Have I ever called you a “HYPOCRITE”; or a “FOOL; or a “BLIND GUIDE”; or a “VIPER”; or a “SERPENT”? Hmmm? Have I ever said that you are “BLIND” or have I ever intimated that you are “FULL OF HYPOCRISY and INIQUITY”? That’s what the Lord called the scribes and the Pharisees. He didn’t “MINCE” His words when it came to “FALSE TEACHERS”!

Now when you equate what I am doing (or saying) here on this forum as being the “same as what the Pharisees did to “Jesus, the prophets and apostles” –

You did say:
Quote:
You know, there were folks that used this same tactic on Jesus, the prophets and apostles.”
You are accusing me of using the same tactics as the scribes and the Pharisees did – so are you ACCUSING me of being a Pharisee? And if you are – WHY don’t you just come out and say it, instead of beating around the bush?

Quote:
The point is, a person must understand the scriptures.”
The point is” - a born again child of God does NOTNEED” some man to give him discernment or understanding!The point is” that – UNLIKE the Disciples and the Ethiopian Eunuch (neither of whom possessed the Holy Spirit - YET) a born again child of God DOES have the Holy Spirit living IN him, and does NOTNEED” that “ANY MAN TEACH” HIM.

Quote:
1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.
22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.
24 Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.
25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.

26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.

27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need NOT that any man TEACH you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
So anyone who teaches that a Christian (a true born again child of God) “NEEDS” SOMEONE TO “TEACH” them so they can UNDERSTAND the Scriptures is teaching “FALSE DOCTRINE” – which makes them “FALSE TEACHERS”!

Ultimately, for the saved child of God, ALL spiritual “discernment”, “understanding”, and “wisdomMUST come from God – NOT MEN (or Schools)! [1Corinthians 2:1-16] and to teach OTHERWISE is to teach CONTRARY to what the Scriptures “SAY” – never mind what you or premio53 “THINK” they may “MEAN”.

I have dealt with your “comments” (with Scripture – in “CONTEXT”) and have demonstrated that you not only have limited spiritual discernment and understanding, but you have displayed very little spiritual wisdom in continually opposing what I have posted lately.

I have demonstrated, on several occasions, that you will make CLAIMS and then FAIL to back them up - just like your Post # 13 (On the Thread > “Dispensationalism”) where you “CLAIMED” that brother Ruckman agreed with you, and where I clearly demonstrated (in my Post #35 - at least four times) that you were in ERROR and that you were “reading into” what brother Peter Ruckman “SAID”, what you believed he “MEANT” {Which Post you have totally IGNORED, and have yet to reply to}.

And again, just like when you said in your Post #37 (Thread > “Dispensationalism”) Winman’s comments (continued)::
Quote:
For instance, you say the signs and miracles were only for the Jews. There are exceptions to this that argue against you.
And when I asked you to PRODUCE MY QUOTE (that is my very “words”) you “craw fished” with:

Quote:
You may not have absolutely said that signs and miracles were only for the Jews, but I would say you implied it. You said;

George’s quote:

Quote:
Remember: “The Jews REQUIRE a SIGN” [1Corinthians 1:22], and “tongues are for a SIGN” [1Corinthians 14:22].

Up until this moment SIGNS, MIRACLES, and HEALING had been an INTEGRAL PART of the preaching of the Apostles and Disciples. That is - the Jews (and the Samaritans) actually SAW PHYSICAL SIGNS and MIRACLES along with the preaching of the word of God. But in Acts Chapter 10, the Gentiles – only HEARD (the “word”) and they BELIEVED (WITHOUT the SIGNS or MIRACLES).
That's pretty strong if you ask me.”
I didn’t “ASK YOU”, because you have PROVEN that you CAN NOT be trusted with other people’s “words” anymore than you can be trusted with the Holy words of God! YOU PUT WORDS INTO my mouth that I DID NOT SAY, but according to your understanding – Iimplied it. You did the SAME THING with brother Peter Ruckman’s “words” also {This is an extremely bad habit– contributing “words” to people that they have NOT SAID and “reading into” something that someone (or the Scriptures) SAYsomething that was NOT SAID!}.

If you “feel uncomfortable” around here lately, it’s because, for some time, I have earnestly tried to be “patient” with you, and I gave you more “latitude” than those who have come here and who are far more obvious in their disingenuousness and deviousness. But your continual twisting and wresting of Scripture and your constant misuse and taking words and verses out ofcontext” has forced me to confront you with your perverse practices.

If you don’t want to “cross swords” with me again; then stop your nay saying and opposition to what I say - since your comments CAN NOT stand up against close scrutiny and the light of Scripture. If you persist in your obstinacy, rest assured that I shall continue to expose your “fallacious” reasoning and misuse of the Scriptures.

Just because you “USE” Scripture – doesn’t mean that what you say (or believe) is “Truth”. There have been MANY all down through the centuries that have “USED” the Scriptures TO further their own agenda, but God is only going to “approve” of those people who, in their Bible studies, were engaged in “rightly dividing the word of truth.” – ALL others are going to be “ashamed”!

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

2 Corinthians 4:1 Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;
2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

Last edited by George; 06-21-2009 at 02:45 PM.