View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Forum Administrator

The concept of being "spiritually dead" is derived from Ephesians 2 and 5:14. It may not be a phrase from the Bible, but when you read:
John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from
death
unto life.

1 Peter 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
Something of an unsaved man crosses from death to life. It's obviously not the body.

This is past tense, not a future resurrection:
1 John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

Here's one to chew on:
John 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

It's also interesting to me that Paul says that the unsaved do not have the life of God.
Ephesians 4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

The "life of God" is spirit:
Revelation 11:11 And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.
Also, not all men's spirits go back to God after death. Else this would be error:
1 Peter 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
What were the spirits doing in prison (in the earth)? Not sure where this fits but it's there somewhere. Perhaps the "upward" movement of the spirit was yet to come for them.