View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 05:22 AM

Default God's thoughts and ways - Isaiah 55:8-9

Isaiah 55:6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: 7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. 8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Verses 8 & 9 are often quoted by preachers and Christians saying that God's thoughts and ways are so much different than man's, but is that really what the verses are saying? God is actually directing this statement at the wicked and unrighteous man of verse 7, and that is who He is making the comparison with. It is applicable to the Christian though?

The Christian is a new creature, being conformed to the image of Christ, having the indwelling holy Spirit, the word of God, and the mind of Christ (1 Cori 2:16). God has revealed both His ways and thoughts to the body of Christ so that we can obey and follow them, and be more like Him.

Perhaps before quoting Isaiah 55:8-9 this should be considered?