View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemama
When dealing with homosexuals, do you think it's ok to call them queers, faggots etc? Or do you tone it down so that you might have a chance to witness to them? What about "Christian" homosexuals?
Of course you don't call them such things, if you're trying to win them to Christ. In fact, I don't see any reason to use vulgar terms at all, when dealing with such people in any context. I have, on occasion, worked with Sodomites; but I didn't talk to them about their ghastly "sexual preference," because I don't discuss those things with any of my co-workers. Why should I?

Now, if I'm witnessing, one-on-one, to a Sodomite who seems sincere, we'll discuss what the Bible says about his condition. I don't compromise or back down the slightest bit, although I try to have compassion, just as I would for any sinner. And, in such conversations, I don't use the word "Sodomite," although it's the Biblical term; but neither do I use the term "gay," which I despise. I simply talk about homosexuality and homosexuals, and what the Bible says about it. If I'm witnessing to a young heterosexual who's promiscuous, I don't call him a whoremonger; I just discuss things in a firm, but compassionate, manner. If that's "toning it down," so be it. The girl who led me to Christ didn't call me an egomaniac or a fornicating young fool, although that's what I was! If she had, I wouldn't have listened to her.

The preaching of the cross is already an offense to those who are perishing. They're not going to Hell because they're Sodomites; they're going to Hell because they don't know Christ. Why should I confuse the issue by using impolite, vulgar words? The goal is to not to insult them; it's to win them, or at least plant and water some seeds.

I do have such conversations from time to time, and I always tell them that, if they come to Christ, they can't continue in their homosexual activities. And I realize (although I don't say it out loud) that their homosexuality probably isn't gonna be erased overnight: they will, by the grace of God, quit acting on their desires, but the desires might persist for a long time, as they do with alcoholics or gossips or adulterers.

There is no such thing as a "Christian homosexual," or a "Christian fornicator," or a "Christian thief," although Christians can commit those sins. When we receive Christ, we experience the spiritual circumcision, wherein our souls are cut loose from our flesh. And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ (Col. 2:10, 11). A Christian might kill someone with his hands, or commit a sexual sin, or slander someone with his tongue; but he/she is not a "Christian slanderer" or a "Christian murderer" or a "Christian fornicator." We will, in this life, reap the consequences of our sins, and we will surely be chastened; but the sins don't touch our souls, because of the spiritual circumcision. This is a deep subject, but it's the truth.

Quote:
Do you believe that a Christian can be homosexual if they are backslidden enough?
Of course. That is, they can commit homosexual sins, but, as I said, I don't think there's any such thing as a "Christian homosexual." If a Christian - - - any Christian, including you and especially me - - - puts the Bible aside, quits praying, and neglects Christian fellowship, any sin is possible; and some kind of sin is inevitable. I have personally known born-again men and women who had committed murder, dope peddling, and child sexual abuse. (The murderer I knew was a woman.) And I'm confident that the people I'm thinking of (all personal acquaintances) were just as saved as I am. But they wandered away from Christ, and the "old man" took over. Not all at once; but, the longer you try to live "on your own," the deeper into sin you can get. A Christian who's out of fellowship with God is no less prone to sin than an unbeliever: he just doesn't lose his salvation.

The kids in Sunday School say, "This Book (the Bible) will keep me from my sins, or my sins will keep me from this Book." That's a profound statement. That's some heavy theology! If Christians really believed it, things would be much different in our churches and our nation.

These are tough things to say, but they're true. Anyone who says, "Oh, a Christian just couldn't do those things!" doesn't know the Bible, doesn't know human nature, and is probably more than a little self-righteous.