View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Pastor Mikie

Saved by works is only correct if we mean Christ's works. Maintaining salvation isn't by works, either. For example:

James 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
James 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
James 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Contrasted with:

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

We maintain salvation the same way we got it. Our "works" were in excepting. And, our works prove our salvation, not bring it about.

When a person "departs from the faith" as in 1st Timothy 4:1, they have walked away from the gift of God. They can't walk away from a place they never were. It isn't talking about refusing the Gospel of Jesus Christ, it's departing from it. A person can't depart from a place they are not at.

The phrase, "they were never saved in the first place" isn't accurate to say. If that were true, how could anyone every really know they are saved? God gives us the free gift of salvation with assurance:

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

And, we know we have faith by the works we do:

Titus 3:8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

We are sealed with the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption and that is God's plan.

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

On our part, we abide in Him to maintain our salvation. So as not to slip away, or lose faith.

1 John 2:24 Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.
1 John 2:28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

We work with God, and He works with us.

2 Corinthians 6:1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.

So, we aren't saved or maintained by our works.

2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

But, it is by faith:

2 Corinthians 1:24 Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.
Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
1 Peter 1:5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.