View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Look this and will help
I've only made it through the opening paragraphs so far (I'm not sure if I'm going to persevere through the rest ).

Quote:
There are huge numbers of people who say with confidence that they are born again Christians, and yet demonstrate by the way they live that they do not believe their eternal salvation depends in any way on their willingness to turn from sin and live for God.
What are the denominations that believe in insecure salvation? I'd like to see how much more godly their lives are. I believe Methodists are one, are they the model of what a church and Christians should be?

Quote:
We don't have to be perfect to be right with God. Its just that a true born again Christian really wants to please God.
Wait a second, doesn't that contradict the above argument, and this argument (describing the doctrine of eternal security)?
Quote:
In other words, if a person was truly born again of the Spirit of God, even if he or she backslides and gets into open wilful sin of any kind - even to the point of becoming an atheist, a witch, a Christ-hater, and a bitter opponent of the gospel - that person will go to heaven when they die, even if they never repent in this life and come back to Christ.
In fact the idea that a true born again Christian would want to please God and not backslide to the extent of denying Him was an argument I was using to defend the doctrine of eternal security. I reckon I must be confused.

Quote:
The truth or otherwise of the doctrine of eternal security has real consequences in the way we preach the gospel, the way we instruct new converts, and our attitude towards temptation and compromise in our own lives.
I remember someone else addressing a Pentacostal preacher who thought he needed to preach insecurity even though he no longer believed in it (sorry, I can find the post off-hand). Sometimes it seems it's just not expedient to teach the Bible.

I've had to deal with habitual sin in my life. I don't think I'm the only one, and it's not an easy thing. I actually think it would have been a lot harder if I had thought God was continually unsaving me the whole time. Even if I did immediately master all habitual sins, what about Fundy's question? What's the longest you've ever gone without sin?