View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 09:00 PM

Most importantly, our words should fit the standards that the Scriptures themselves provide.
Quote:
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
If our words fit within these parameters, they will be right, no matter how harsh they may seem (i.e. "vipers"-the true condition of the ones being so labeled)

Jesus was called "the man of sorrows". If we saw the wickedness of the world as He sees it, and saw it while on earth, I doubt we would spend much time cracking jokes, especially at the expense of others.

pbiwolski, you may have develped a thick skin when it comes to jokes about your heritage, but not only can you not speak for everyone else, but I would keep this admonition from our Saviour in mind when joking about others, especially believers,
Quote:
Matthew 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
I shudder to think what God's reaction is to any Christian whose careless words injure a weaker brother and causes him to wonder whether this "love one another" teaching is all that real!