View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 07:20 PM

Jerry
Quote:
Actually, I never said I was offended at that joke - someone else did. I just stated it was wrong, sin - and it still is, whether people get offended or not. Jesus didn't crack ethnic jokes or insult people for the sake of knocking them - He called them names that were appropriate to exactly what they were doing wrong. Fool - for being foolish. Hypocrite - for being hypocritical. And so on. If you use a name that a preacher in the Bible used, and are using it in the same way, I have no problem with that. My problem is with casting unjustified insults and slurs around - which I have shown from various passages are sinful. Here is another verse - words of Jesus:
Agreed,

But how about:

SNAKES:
Matthew 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Matthew 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
Matthew 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
Luke 3:7 Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

DOGS:
Matthew 15:26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.
28 Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

Mark 7:27 But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs.
28 And she answered and said unto him, Yes, Lord: yet the dogs under the table eat of the children's crumbs.
29 And he said unto her, For this saying go thy way; the devil is gone out of thy daughter.

Philippians 3:2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.

LIARS, EVIL BEASTS, SLOW BELLIES:
Titus 1:12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.
13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;

With all of the warnings of false teachers & false doctrines given to us - sometimes it may be necessary use harsh and tough speech. Again it depends on who is being addressed and the circumstance and it doesn't give us an excuse to abuse it.
{1 Timothy 4:1-3; 2 Timothy 3:1-9. 13; 2 timothy 4:1-4; 2 Peter 2:1-22; The whole Book of Jude}