Thread: Christmas
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 04:27 PM

To Aussiemama. That familyministries article is a very good one - it says several things I have thought on the subject. I think it should be remembered that most of the early Christians were working class people who only had days off work when their pagan bosses took pagan holidays so any Christian celebrations would have to be on those days. That timing would not make the Christian holidays evil. Regarding Halloween; Since I was a little kid in the late 50's and early 60's I was able to dress up as a demon or goblin and get candy from the neighbors without any sense of a connection with real evil satan-worship as is obvious today. I think what I did to celebrate halloween would probably be offensive to any serious occultist today just as native Americans find some sports mascots involving caricatures of Indians to be offensive. The articles' consideration of giving offense to a weaker brother was very good. I have had several experiences with people trying to control behaviour by presenting themselves as both a grieved brother and a strong Christian (capable of disciplining other Christians)simutaneously, which violates the Biblical statement.