Thread: The Word of God
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 08:04 AM
martydavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
One rightly divides the word to establish doctrine. Once established, one may proceed by properly applying what is read.

God can use any scripture to teach us a spiritual truth or "life lesson" should He so choose. He calls men to preach from the writings of Jeremiah and even Moses. He teaches us of His nature and attributes from Isaiah and Job. Much of the Psalms are very comforting and encouraging to us today, and yet they often speak doctrinally of Christ and His future kingdom.

Where God speaks to you individually is up to Him. But you must know that He won't lead you contrary to the perimeters (doctrine) that He has already established for you and me today. Should one feel led to apply someone else's doctrine, they had better "try the spirits whether they are of God."
EXACTLY!! Through prayer and His word, God speaks to each of us 'in our own place' - Our walk with the Lord is an individual thing. When God speaks to me in MY situation He is not necessarily speaking to you in YOUR situation the same way. God may tell me something literal from His word as you may read it and only can apply it figuratively.

When Jesus told us that "these signs will follow them that believe" He was speaking to all of His followers that believe, but I believe more specifically to those "who will believe" (if YOU don't believe it is for YOU there will be no signs following). Which means you can't tell me "it has passed away" if it is just a matter of YOU not believing it is for YOU. My faith, and my relationship with with Jesus says it DOES apply to me if I believe it by faith and claim it. Yes, I can tell God 'NO" and get swallowed up by a great fish, but eventually I will have to repent and "go to Nineva"