View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 07:04 PM
freesundayschoollessons

About the article by John Hinton: While I enjoyed his explanation of the epenthetic nun, his article does not handle the issues involved here.

1) He does not deal with the context of Psalm 12. It is clearly established in verse 1 that the subject is godly man is afraid of "ceasing" to exist.

2) He does not treat the antecedent issue. The Hebrew "them" (vs 7) is masculine. The Hebrew for "words" (vs 6) is feminine. "Them" cannot refer to "words" because they do not match gender.

3) If this was clearly a "preservation of Scripture" passage, you would expect to see the commentaries present this. They don't. In fact, they are unanimously agreed that vs 7 refers to the poor.

4) I find it a curious thing, but am pleased, that you will go to a Hebrew scholar for information on this. In my discussion on other threads, I find definitive statements that going to "The Greek" and "scholars" is wrong. I am starting a thread on that very topic.

If you want a more clear treatment of Psalm 12, go to page 15 of this article on Preservation of Scripture.