View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 AM

First Step of Obedience....

This is something I am coming to grips with now. As soon as someone says that obedience is an action, a work, then straight-way, the believer is back under law and legality. No longer is he freed from the law, but that yolk of bondage is put back around his neck, and his baptism is no longer a proclamation, but a STEP of OBEDIENCE, which then allows him to continue in further STEPS of OBEDIENCE such as Lord's Supper and other ordinances. The believers life becomes one of rote obedience to the law of the church, rather than the freedom that is in Christ.

2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Knowing that when we believe on Christ, we are free from the law of sin and death, we are crucified with him, our life is dead, and the life we live is Christ's, we are given the MIND of Christ, and are to bring EVERY thought into captivity - whose captivity? - Christ's, who is our life!

While I believe baptism is for this age, I do not see it as a step of obedience, joining the church etc. It's simply public declaration of one's belief in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

As soon as one starts on that old Fundamental Baptist way of "obedience", one is immediately caught up in other rubbish - Men wear pants! Attend Everything regardless of anything else! Faithfulness to Church is #1! - In my experience, obedience to the church becomes a life of futility, whereas if I die to self, live through Christ, and let Him do all the obeying, I find my life prospers in the grace of God.