View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 02:45 PM
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Most of that makes sense, except

"perhaps they know what the Gospel means but were unwilling to repent of their sins"

I don't understand how one can repent of their sins if they aren't saved. One can be sorry, they could turn over a new leaf, but without being born again, one cannot actually repent and forsake sins.
That is not what the Bible says.

Quote:
Otherwise, I suppose that every Christian should be merely a professor, as not a single Christian on earth has repented of all their sins and stopped committing them.
Who said anything of repenting of ALL their sins? If you present the ten commandments to someone you are witnessing to - then you should expect them to either repent of those ones they have broken, or to hold on to their sins and reject the Gospel. There is no such thing as deliberately holding on to sin and receiving the Saviour at the same time. If someone is presented with the commandments they have broken and still holds on to those sins while at the same time "turning to the Lord", they are deceiving themself. What are they turning to the Lord for? I turned to the Lord to save me from my sins and to forgive me for them - that meant a turning away from those sins in my heart and a turning toward the Saviour - which is exactly what the Bible teaches.

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

I stopped running my way in life, and started going God's way.