Thread: Gap Theory
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
I was really into your response there...it seemed as if you had done a completely honest job, but then of course I ran into this:

...and oh well.

2 Peter 3 draws a parallel between the first time the entire earth was destroyed (between Gen. 1:1 and 1:2) and the final destruction by fire; I've touched on that in response to the word "elements," either here or other places. God called the earth before Noah "the old world" (2 Pet. 2:5) and the pre-Adamic earth "the world that then was" (2 Pet. 3:6): I take that at face value and say that apparently, since Noah is mentioned in one instance, and not in another, that they are two different time periods, one including Noah, and one not including Noah. Remember, God works in threes (Gen. 1:1-2; Gen. 7; 2 Pet. 3:10, Rev. 21:1).

Also: please denote when you have added emphasis to a quote, and it's best to leave the quote intact and comment on it outside of the actual quote. Thanks.
Quote:
You wrote: 2 Peter 3 draws a parallel between the first time the entire earth was destroyed (between Gen. 1:1 and 1:2)…
Sorry, what scriptures do you use to support that the earth was destroyed between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2? You referred to some scriptures in your previous posts #9 and #15. Jeremiah 4, in context, clearly speaks of a judgment on Jerusalem. The Prophet Jeremiah saw, in a vision, the earth where Jerusalem once stood and, after judgment, it was a pile of rubble. "Without form and void." And I cannot see a destruction of the earth between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 which can be supported by Isaiah 12 or Ezekiel 28.

As you, or someone you were quoting from a sermon or book has said:

Quote:
The Bible doesn't explain this original creation in this passage; It gives us indications and hints in other places (Eze. 28, Isa. 12), but details and definite descriptions aren't readily visible.
Okay. I agree with that conclusion. By the way, are those your thoughts or do they come from someone else?

Quote:
God called the earth before Noah "the old world" (2 Pet. 2:5) and the pre-Adamic earth "the world that then was" (2 Pet. 3:6): I take that at face value and say that apparently, since Noah is mentioned in one instance, and not in another, that they are two different time periods, one including Noah, and one not including Noah.
Concerning…
1 Peter 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

2 Peter 2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

2 Peter 3:6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
The words:
in the days of Noah (1 Peter 3:20)

the old world, but saved Noah (2 Peter 2:5)

the world that then was, being overflowed with water (2 Peter 3:6)
In my opinion, all speak of the same world and same time in history. This does not speak of a previous world, earth, or heaven that existed before Noah.

Quote:
...apparently, since Noah is mentioned in one instance, and not in another, that they are two different time periods...
I don't agree with you. If your particular reasoning is true, then we can say that about other scriptures. For example, there is no mention in John 1:1 that the "Word" refers to Jesus, so how do we really know that in the beginning the "Word" is really speaking of Jesus? We know it by comparing scripture with scripture. There is no mention in John 16:7 of the Holy Spirit, yet we know by comparing scripture with scripture in the previous two chapters that the Comforter is the Spirit. "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you."

Quote:
Remember, God works in threes (Gen. 1:1-2; Gen. 7; 2 Pet. 3:10, Rev. 21:1).
Okay.

1. He created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)

2. He will destroy the heavens and the earth. (Revelation 21:1)

3. He will create a new heaven and a new earth. (Revelation 21:1)