View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 06:48 PM
textusreceptusonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Yahweh is a corruption of God's name Jehovah and is an excellent example of what happens when we let Satan define the parameters of the study of the Biblical text and its history.
I think its a bit too far to say that a huge corruption like Yahweh will come out of a laxity with respect to the name Geba. That God's name is Jehovah is guarded by the name of Jesus himself. Jesus = Jeshua = Jehohua = Jehoshuah = Jehovah + sh after the o causing the v to be pronounced as a u, Jeho+sh+vah = Jehoshuah = Jehoshua = Jeshua = Jesus. Can you do anything similar with Geba? No, because it isn't very important at all, but the name Jehovah is.

Although I beleive the literal jots and tittles are preserved I can see his point partially, if modified in the following way. The jots and tittles passing in that passage does not refer to them ceasing to be written, but ceasing to be in effect. Jesus said that the jots and tittles of the Law could not pass away until he fulfilled all the Law. After that Jesus fulfilled the Law, the Law passed away in the sense of no longer being in effect, being that the Law was replaced by the New Testament. The written jots and tittles will never pass away from being written, but they already have passed away from being in effect. He nailed the Law to the cross, thus making it no longer rule over us.