Thread: Worship Music.
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother-Smith View Post
God is working on me and I am willing for him to show me what to do. I do pray the blockhead prayer about it. You know... "God? I am a blockhead... I know... make it real obvious for me, please? Thanks."
I do get a chance to share Christ with many people, on tour or in the nightclubs. It is tough sometimes though.
There's a man in my church that's talented musically and has played in a band for years. They played local venues - pretty much whatever was asked of them. He (with the other members) was a member of a typical community church. A little soft gospel message with a lot of worldly appeal in music, events, dress, etc. - everybody's happy but the Lord.

He has been in my church for the last year, but continued to play here and there in this band. He would tell me about it from time to time as we talked, and I would feel like blasting him with how wrong it was - the environment, the "fellowship", using (abusing!) the talent God gave him in an ungodly manner...

Nevertheless, I knew he was not mature in the Lord enough to receive such a "rebuke" so I prayed for him and watched him grow. Things in his life have fallen apart in some ways (for the good), the band doesn't seem to have time to get together anymore (for the good), and he is now questioning if playing in this band is even right in the first place.

All this to say it was getting him in a Bible preaching church, around Bible believing Christians (that try to live holy and sactified), and away from the rest that allowed him to grow into the understanding of what the Lord's mind is in this area of his life. The answer he needed (as well as you need perhaps) has always been in the pages of Scripture. The eyes of his understanding are what needed to be enlightened. God's mind over the matter was and is the same before the band was ever formed.

It took "the entrance of thy words" (Ps 119:130) to understand this. When the word of God enters and is received, whatever is being held onto (maybe just enjoying playing that music itself) by a deceitful heart must be released.

As far as I know, he's done with the band. He is as faithful a member as anyone in our church. He desires to sing, enjoys "talking Bible", and is everready to serve the Lord in the ministries at our church.

Here's a verse has helped me in the areas that I have allowed to be questionable.

II Cor. 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.