View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 03:33 PM

Default Revelations chapter 12

I have a question about Revelations chapter 12, especially verses 3 and 4: And my question is concerning the great number of people who were possessed by devils or unclean spirits in the gospels. In the Old Testament you really do not read accounts of this often, and in the later books of the New Testament you do not hear about it so often as well. But during Jesus's ministry, it seemed to be commonplace. I have wondered if there was a period of time when there was a great number of these devils that has not been before or since, and that perhaps Revelations 12 is describing this.

Rev 3:3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. 4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

Now this chapter starts off describing a great wonder in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

I believe this to be Israel, as this matches well with Joseph's dream in Gen 37.

Gen 37:9 And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me.

I believe Joseph would be the 12th star, representing the tribes of Israel. So I believe this woman in Revelations 12 represents Israel. Also, she is with child who surely must be Christ.

Rev 12:2 And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.

Rev 12:5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

So, perhaps Rev 12:1 through Rev 12:15 represents Israel from before Christ's birth up until Jesus ascends to heaven. Or perhaps verse 15 represents the Rapture, as the words "caught up" might mean?

But in Rev 12:6 we seem to be future to the Great Tribulation

Rev 12:6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

After this we see Satan cast down from heaven, where he is very angry with the woman and sends a flood after her. I think the flood probably represents an army, as this term has been used in the OT.

Anyway, lots of writing for a pretty simple question. Do you think these "third part of the stars" that were drawn down by Satan could account for all the devils and unclean spirits during Jesus's ministry?