View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
READ THE VERSE WITH UNDERSTANDING:

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; [WHY?] for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God" (1 John 3:9).

Yes, "positionally" (in Christ) I no longer sin. Not "experientially" or operationally, but positionally. I no longer sin because His seed remains in me, no because I live a holy, disciplined, committed, or sinless lifestyle.
I haven't posted on this forum in a while, but when I read this post, I just had to reply with a hearty AMEN! I didn't quote the entire post due to the length. I especially liked the very last comment (which is why I quoted it). It is the best explanation of 1 John 3:9 that I've read in a long time. Nobody can live a Christian life...it is Christ alone Who lives that life through us (Gal. 2:20)...as we yield to the Holy Spirit.

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. (Galatians 5:16)

There was one comment in your post which I didn't understand. It was the comment about "unbelief and rejection of Christ" being a sin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
It is specifically the sin of unbelief and the rejection of Jesus Christ that condemns a person. But the penalty of sin and all its condemnation is vanquished by the redemptive work of Christ. “He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God” (John 3:18). He has made a way of escape once—for all who believe.
I've never heard this before. Would you please explain this further? I know that rejection of Christ will condemn a person to hell...that when a person goes to hell, he/she goes there with his/her sins already paid for. Would this mean that Christ died for unbelief and mankind's rejection of Him?

Last edited by LindaR; 10-02-2008 at 11:20 AM.