View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 08:34 AM
lei-kjvonly

Again as I said in an earlier post, in 1 Corinthians 13 "that which is perfect" I believe is the Word of God. Really what would be the purpose of tounges today? If they are for a sign then why do we need the Word of God. Isn't that the Bible's job to show people the truth. I firmly believe that when the originals texts were finished being written that tounges ceased and they are no longer needed today.

Even if they were possible today, the way many people practice it is unbiblical.

#1) 1Co 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
1Co 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

I know there are many out there that have more than three get up there and babble, sometimes there is no interpreter. It just leaves the congregation thinking about how spiritual that preacher is. It also specifies let one interpret. I know that sometimes people will have three people "speaking in tounges" and three people "interpreting." According to scripture this is unbiblical.

#2) 1Co 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
1Co 14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

I know for sure that many go haywire with this one. It's plain to understand from scripture that it is not biblical to have women speak in tounges.

These are God's viewpoints on how tounges were to be carried out IN THE DAY. They are no longer needed. Tell one thing that tounges accomplish that the Word of God can't accomplish.