View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 07:06 PM

Is the gift of an iterpretable tongue the same as the sign to the Jew of Acts 2?

though 1Cor 14 does speak of an unknown tongue. of which previous to this statement of an unknown tongue it is clear never existed until the Corinthian church invented it. for all the other verses in ACTs spoke in a other tongues, and speak with tongues (context tells us it was Hebrew or Greek) not an unknown tongue singular of 1Cor. Chapter 14.

1 Cor 12 is a gift given to.... Profit withal. and one of the gifts was diverse tongues and another gift Interpretation of Tongues. not Unkown tongues (of Chapter 14). the gift of Acts 10 is not tongues but the HOLY GHOST see vs 45.

So gifts and signs? things that are different are not the same.

the thing to look at is. why would the Lord Via the Holy Ghost give GIFTS to the BORN AGAIN CHURCH in 1 Cor 12 and they not be for today? Why do many assume that the GIFT of TONGUES which according to Paul needs the GIFT of interpretation of Tongues to profit withal speaking of the Christian Body of Christ, is the sign for the Jews only?

And Paul instructs to COVET the best gifts not the BEST SIGNS.

Though I have yet to hear anyone speak in a diverse tongues and it be interpreted. I do NOT agree that the gift of 1COR 12 is the same as the signs of ACTS. And I myself do not have the gift of tongues nor would I allow it with out an interpretation and I would expect that both people having those gifts would have to be male's only (sorry ladies but it said given unto every man not everyone or woman)

Why are not these things not happening in the church. Because most Christians are not Filled witht he Holy Ghost, they are more easily filled with the flesh. being occupied (a meaning of filled)with the HOLY GHOST takes careful prayer and faith in the Lord to do in you His will not just for salvation, sinlessness and sanctification but also for the distribution of gifts to profit the body. Read Lewis Chafer's book, He that is Spiritual. if you want it I will email it to you.

The reason the sign and the gift are made to be the same is a man made doctrine designed with the best intentions to protect the weak from the fleshy movement that was taking place in Corinth when Paul addressed the whole issue. so rather than teach is correctly, the difference between sign and gift and how it opporates. it was easier to create a system to lump it all together and make it not for today.

the other thing about speaking in an Unkown Tongue is that it is disobedience to the word of God. and no one in disobedience can claim to be filled with the Holy Ghost and exercising a gift of the Holy Ghost.

Last edited by chette777; 06-16-2008 at 07:26 PM.