View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
I must be a very foolish person. I actually believe that ALL Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for DOCTRINE, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (2 Tim. 3:16). I believe The Sermon on the Mount is for me, as well as the Ten Commandments. I believe in "the Everlasting Gospel" of Revelation 14, that I am to fear God, keep His commandments, and have faith in Jesus.

What does it matter if we have the inspired, preserved Word of God if we can essentially negate so much of it as "somebody else's mail" ?? I have never understood this rationale....and you don't have to explain it to me as I have corresponded with a pastor who believes it for several months to no avail.

I realize I am in the minority in my view on this forum and do not wish to get into a debate about it. I just needed to voice my objection based on 2 Tim. 3:16.

Shalom,

Tandi
Hellow Tandi,

I was like you when I came to fellowship with the brethren here. But I was very much so more resistant than you are in my previous views (I came from a group of Mennonite who are completely ignorant of Dispensationalism and due to their lack of understanding were very vocal against it). What I would like to do is offer you a suggestion that will make things easy for you. I hope you won't do what I did. I tried to bury my head in the sand and wouldn't even read anything on Dispensationalism but eventually I realized I didn't have any room to speak against something unless I'd read at least one book on the subject. Therefore I heeded brother Chette's advice and bought the book "One Book Rightly Divided" by Dr. Douglas D. Stauffer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0967701619). I can now say that I learned more about the Bible in this one book than I have from any other book on the Scriptures. I assure you that you will be amazed to see things in Scripture that you never were able to piece together before. Here's a couple examples of teachings which various churches believe and are supported by verses in the Bible which are cleared up in his book:

* The NT begins immediately following Malachi (Matthew 1:1)
vs
The NT does not begin until after Christ's death (Hebrews 9:17)

* A person can lose the Holy Spirit through sin (1 Samuel 16:14, Psalm 51:11)
vs
The Holy Spirit seals the Christian and will never leave him (Ephesians 5:30)

* Water baptism bestows the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38)
vs
Baptism identifies Christians with the death, burial and resurrection (Colossians 2:12)

The last example is the real kicker. You will be shewn that Scripture supports many things which cannot be understood unless you rightly divide, such as; do you recieve the Holy Spirit before or after baptism? Do you have to be baptised at all to recieve the Holy Spirit? Do you need to have hands laid upon you to recieve the Holy Ghost? Do you need to be baptised to recieve remission of your sins? Very serious questions, wouldn't you think?

There is so much more to be learned Tandi (like if there is only one gospel, what were the disciples preaching when Christ was still alive?), things you've likely never thought of before, and will surely blow your mind (in a very delightful way ^_^) when brought to your attention. I HIGHLY recommend this book.

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen

Last edited by stephanos; 01-20-2009 at 02:35 AM.